When I asked Midiman what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday, his answer was: “A Darth Vader Chocolate Cake!”. As soon as he answered I wondered “why did I ask?” Flavoured cakes, fine. But themed cakes. I am not a theme cake baking kind of person who gets all crafty. First things first, I started with trying out the gluten free recipe I had in my head for the chocolate cake and Darth Vader will follow when I make the actual birthday cake.
Needed Ingredients for the Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
- 200 gr or 2 1/4 cup garbanzo flour;
- 6 eggs, for a devil’s food like cake;
- 200 gr or 3/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar or another sweetener;
- 200 gr or 2 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil;
- 1 teaspoon baking soda;
- 1 teaspoon baking powder;
- 50 gr or 5 tablespoons of cacao;
- Pinch of chili powder.
Heat: 150-160 Celsius / 320 fahrenheit, Baking time: 60-90 min
- Preheat the oven at 320F / 150-160 C;
- Prepare your baking tin, I used a bread tin. I grease it with coconut oil and I use the flour that I use for baking for the bottom and sides, to make sure my batter doesn’t stick to the sides;
- Separate the egg whites and egg yolks;
- In a clean mixing bowl, makes sure it is really clean and free of fat residue, mix the egg whites together with the sugar until they are all fluffy. I use a KitchenAid to do this and use the whire whip that I also use for whipped cream, but you can use a mixer as well;
- In a separate mixing bowl add the eggs yolks and butter and mix it together;
- In a separate bowl measure the flour, add the baking soda, baking powder, cacao and chili powder;
- Add this to the egg and butter mix and mix it together;
- With a wooden spoon, add the egg white and sugar mix to the mix in your mixing bowl and carefully scoop it through it by hand.
- When everything is mixed you can pour the batter into the baking tin;
- Place your unbaked chocolate cake in the oven and bake it for an hour to 1.5 hours;
- After an hour check if it is fully baked, I use a satay stick. When there is still batter on my stick I add 10 minutes to my baking time. If the stick is dry, the chocolate cake is ready. If it is not I add another 10 minutes.;
- Let it cool for an hour before cutting the chocolate cake;
The Birthday Darth Vader Chocolate Cake
For Midiman’s birthday cake I used two 9″ round cake pans to bake a cake as described above. For the filling I used a layer of melted dark chocolate. After it hardened in the fridge I added a layer of raspberries preserve and a layer of whipped cream. I added the second cake layer on top of it and all around I covered it with whipped cream. The top I covered with melted dark chocolate and the sides with dark chocolate sprinkles. I stored it in the fridge overnight for the chocolate to harden. Next morning I wrote “Happy Birthday” on the cake and added Darth Vader. And voila, my easy Darth Vader Chocolate Cake for Midiman was ready.
This post contains affiliated links. Clicking on those will cost you nothing extra but helps me to earn a little bit of money to pay for this website.