The day Dad made me think of IFTTT
Dad is in the market for a new job. The other day Dad had a talk with a recruiter and he confronted Dad with the fact that he doesn’t have a Facebook account. Apparently after looking up potential candidates on LinkedIn, a recruiter continues his search and looks on other social media platforms, like Facebook, Twitter.
Now the thing is, Dad doesn’t like all these different platforms. All the time you are spending to keep everything up to date. Now I knew from a friend years ago that you can use IFTTT (if this then that) to link these social platforms. Which means that after connecting everything, Dad only has to update LinkedIn and the others will update automatically. He still has to go to the different platforms to see what is going on. Especially Twitter seems to be very useful when looking for a job.
How does IFTTT work?
For us Bloggers this is a useful tool too. I use it a lot. When I post a photo on Instagram and I want to share it my Facebook page as well. Instead of sharing it on all the platforms separately, I share it by only doing one action. I share it on my Instagram account. I have set it up, by using IFTTT, that when I use a certain tag it shares the photo on my Facebook page as well.
Setting up IFTTT
Sharing Instagram Photos on your Facebook Page
You can choose from different If This Then That options. Since I am mostly active on Instagram it makes sense for me to choose one that starts at Instagram and shares from there. I choose this one. By clicking on the radar in the right upper corner you can configure it to your needs. This is the place where you can add the tag you’ll be using to have it reposted to your Facebook Page. You can also manage what details you add when you repost your Instagram photo. Do you want your whole caption reposted? You can change it or you can leave everything as it is. I only change my tag and left everything else as it was.
Dad his IFTTT path
For my husband I set up IFTTT as well, again he is not very active on Social Media and we share our Instagram account. He (or I) repost photos from Instagram to his twitter timeline using this If This Then That, where he also uses a tag which we choose ourselves. From twitter they’re automatically shared to his facebook timeline, which you can adjust in the twitter settings. When he shares something on LinkedIn there is an option to share it on twitter as well, from there the path takes effect and twitter shares it to facebook as well.
So what does his path look like:
Shared on Instagram with the tag -> it is automatically shared on Twitter and on Facebook
Shared on Linkedin and clicked the option of sharing on Twitter -> it is automatically shared on Twitter and on Facebook
To connect your Twitter account and your Facebook profile
- Log in to the Twitter account you want to associate with your Facebook profile.
- Go to your Settings menu’s Apps tab.
- Click Connect to Facebook.
- If you are not already logged in to Facebook, then you will be prompted to enter your Facebook login credentials. Enter your credentials and click Log in to sign in to Facebook.
- You will then receive a prompt explaining that Twitter will receive certain information from your Facebook account. In order to continue, you must select “Okay.”
- You will then be prompted to select the privacy settings for who will see your Tweets and Retweets posted to your Facebook wall. It is set to friends by default.
- Click “Okay” to complete the process.
- Your Tweets and Retweets will now post to your profile Facebook wall and your username will be displayed there as well. Replies will not be posted.